Transferring utilities when you sell your house.
This is one of those annoying tasks that no one thinks about doing ahead of time when they move but it is crucial as you don’t want to forget and end up paying the buyer’s electricity bill for the first month.
So call now to let the utility companies know that you’re moving. Ask to have all utilities taken out of your name the day of closing.
Generally in the Twin Cities these are the service providers:
Have all of the utilities stop on the day of closing. If you have a security system, schedule it to be shut off the day before closing. You’ll also want to call your TV and internet provider as well. If you’re selling a single family house you’ll need to arrange for the water bill to be taken out of your name. and have a final meter reading done for the day of closing.
If you’re moving to a new home, transfer the utilities to your new home instead of canceling them.
Ask me for help and I will send you my Updater program to take you through all the address changes and transfers, step by step!
Other popular articles:
Why Should You Request my Updater Program?
My program is a web app that allows you to save time – and stay organized – during the moving process.
Here’s what you can do with your Updater account:
- Update your accounts and records: Frequent flyer accounts, alumni associations, magazine subscriptions — Updater makes it easy to notify the businesses and organizations you care about of your new address.
- Forward Your Mail: Save the trip to the Post Office by filling out your official USPS mail forwarding form directly within the app.
- Connect Utilities & Home Services: Connect to the utilities providers you need to set up in your new home. Additionally, Updater’s personalized Moving Concierge helps you find the best deals on Internet, cable, phone, and other home services in your area. It can even schedule installation on your behalf!
- Schedule In-Home Moving Estimates: Schedule up to three in-home estimates with reliable, Updater-approved moving companies.
- Claim Exclusive Moving Deals: Looking to save money on moving supplies, furniture, and more? Updater offers deals at local retailers to help make your wallet happy.
- Send Moving Announcements: Don’t forget to keep friends and family in the loop! Digital moving announcements let you add a personal message and even link to your new address on Google Maps.